Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My Haitian Sensation

Who is my sensational Haitian?  I've yet to meet her, but she's about to make herself known in my life. 

I've made 6 trips to Haiti over the past several years.  Haiti and the Haitian people have always held a special place in my heart.  After my first trip to Haiti, I knew I would always be connected with Haiti.  How can anyone leave Haiti and not want to help more? 

Today is a special day in my life.  I submitted the application to adopt.  I'd love God to bless my life with a child that needs a mother.  I'd love the chance to give a child an opportunity in life.  I'd love the chance to make a difference in someone's life. 

The moment I submitted my paperwork, I felt a rush of excitement all over my body.  I knew then, from this moment on my life will change. 

I asked for a baby girl.  

In 3 weeks I'll make a trip to Haiti to go "orphanage shopping".  My agency uses two different orphanages, but I'd like to check out others in case a baby girl becomes available sooner.  I'd also like to go see the conditions and meet the people running the orphanages.  On this trip, I might be able to locate my Haitian sensation or I might be just investigating the possibilities of using other orphanages.  I'm ok with either outcome.  We'll see!  I'm so fortunate to have a good friend in Haiti who is willing to help me through this process.  Bertony Domond.  Thank you.  He hosted me last year and took me to a few orphanges where I volunteered.  He keeps me safe in a not so safe place, Port-au-Prince.  He will take me to several orphanages on my next trip.  He's going to be my eyes / ears in Haiti throughout this process.  I'm very fortunate to have a friend like him.  Who knew that on a mission trip 15 years ago I'd meet someone who would help me so much.     

Why a baby?!?  Well, the Haitian adoption process takes a LONG time.  It could take 1- 2 years.  By the time I find my daughter and wait for the paperwork to process, she could be 2 years old!  So, I'm requesting a baby.  I want the whole process to be the least traumatic for my daughter, so the younger the better. 

So, the waiting begins.  
Next steps:

Receive my approval and start my homestudy